Deter thieves at your house with these tips.
In 2010, a home burglary occurred almost every 15 seconds, and that rate has not seen a significant decrease in recent years. While you cannot sit at home all day and night to keep burglars away, there are some steps that you can take to help ensure that your house is not the target of your neighborhood thief. Use these theft prevention tips in combination with your homeowners insurance policy to keep your house and assets protected.
- Install deadbolts that have high-security strike plates and long screws on all of your doors that lead into your house, including in the backyard. Replacing 3/4” screws with screws that are 2 ½” long that will penetrate studs will help to double the strength of doors.
- Lock all of your windows, including the ones on the second story, even if you are only leaving for a couple of minutes.
- Install pin-type locks on all sliding glass doors to keep them secure. Laying a broom handle in the doors runner can help to prevent the door from opening up and can act as a backup security measure.
- Replace all weak doors throughout your house. Hang solid-core doors throughout your house. Hollow doors can easily be knocked down with one strong kick.
- Never leave a spare key outside. Thieves know the most common hiding places for keys and will be able to easily get into your house with your spare key.
- Install sensor lights around the exterior of your house. A brightly lit exterior will help to deter any would-be burglars from trying to break into your house.
Taking a look at your homeowners insurance policy can help to make sure that you have the right amount of protection in case of any threat. Contact Idaho Insurance / Affordable Insurance in Caldwell, Idaho for all of your home insurance coverage needs.